Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Race of Truth, well kinda...fail.

The Week Ahead Carlsbad in on Sunday. This week is a drop in mileage; two tune up workouts and a lot of recovery. Tuesday is the last track session and Thursday is an easy tempo effort. After this week comes an ease on intensity and a rise in mileage. The goals for Carlsbad are hard to make since road racing is still so new to me. My road, track, season best are 15:50, 15:40, 15:44 and a 2-mile TT which predicts 15:25 fitness. Goals I want to place in the top 15 placing in the 29 & Under category. The average 15th place finish in the past 4 years is 15:37.5. It looks like I have both my placing and time goals in order Top 15 & sub 15:37.5. Anything better and I will go nuts.

Monday (REST = 0 miles) Took today completely off. I was feeling tired from Sunday's long run so it felt prudent to take today off since its a good 6 days before Carlsbad.

Tuesday (15 miles) Woke up and saw a beautiful day outside so I headed out on a 35 minute shake out run about campus. I spent a lot of time on grass and other soft surfaces. Glad I did since my legs felt a tad like jello, but they are good now and ready for this evening's workout. Headed out to CSUSM for a nice track workout with the Northern County group. I was the only faster guy there so I was on my own for the workout, which was Bowerman strides (1mile) followed by 2 x (600-400-300-200-100) at 5k date pace with 200m rep rest and 800m set rest. Here is the data set one completed in 9:01 (1:42-1:09-52-34-16) set 2 completed in 8:51 (1:43-1:07-51-32-15). Incase you don't know conversions a 600 @ 1:43 is 69s 400m pace and a 51s for 300m is 68s 400m pace. Also there was a 20 minute warm up and 1.5 mile cool down. Ok the day is done and it is now BURRITO TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets do this Chipotle...and its closed time for pita pit.

Wednesday (7) Very easy effort, never dropped under 7 minute pace. Actually spent most of this run trying not to go faster. At the end I was frustrated and decided to eat some perogies and watch season one of BSG.

Thursday (12.5 miles) Headed out on a 25 minute runabout on campus to just shake out the legs before this afternoon/evening's tempo effort. I made sure to stick to only grass and turf. Noticed a hitch in my stride do to tightness in my left hamstring. So this afternoon I headed out to Mission Bay to do my 4-mile tempo effort. The sky was dark and there were heavy gusts on the concrete path that runs along the the perimeter of the Bay. The goal for today was a easy tempo effort to get the legs moving followed by 3x300m to sharpen. I went out and did a 2 mile warm-up dropped the sweats at the car and started active stretching. Gmap-pedometer gave me exact mile markers before I headed out so I could control my pace. My loose goal was to go 6-545-530-515, or to basically start controlled and end fast instead of holding a quick effort the whole time. However I got a little excited and came through the first mile too quick and ended up just holding pace the whole time. To note, the turn around was a bit tricky so miles 2 & 3 are a bit slow due to some maneuvering issues. The splits went as such: 5:32, 5:39, 5:35, 5:20. After the first mile I decided to just ease up and relax and then close the last mile and I achieved just that. I jogged around a bit and then threw on flats for some 300's. These too I fracked up going 48-50-50-49 (w/100m jog recovery). I felt quick, but I should have relaxed, time will tell if I just shot myself in the foot. Headed out on 2 mile cool down. The prep work is done, now its just time to rest and recover until Sunday.

Friday (7) Easy 7 @ 630's clip. Felt relaxed. Saw Iafe of all people out at the park. He was with his little bro feeding the ducks, they attacked us and Tim's got video to prove it! 41.5 for the week. Can already tell this is going to be a small mileage week.

Saturday (4 miles) Headed out to Carlsbad to pick up my race packet and then I headed over to CSUSM to watch CMS compete. I did a 25 minute pre-meet with strides and active stretching.

Sunday (9 miles) Did a 15 minute warm up and my active stretches. Headed over to the start line to do some more drills and strides. About 2 minutes before the gun they told us the race would be delayed ( its 80 degrees by now ). About 15-20 minutes later we get called back to the line but can't find a spot up front since a HS girls team took over the front positions. There are signs that said 5 minute mile average and after point this out to the girls and other local middle school runners I was ... ignored. Finally I pushed people out of the way to get to the front and was given a lot of shit for this. I pointed to the sign and said it was for their safety to which they replied "we were here first." I love arguments which are based on ... well an empty premise. Now I am pissed after having words with a few people, I am hot since its 80+ and I've now been held out in the sun longer than I need to due to a "train" delay. The first mile is a very tiring 4:50 followed by a tight ... very tight 180 deg turn and back up hill, into a strong sea breeze.  I tried pushing the pace but for some reason I was spent. I did a controlled death to the finish line and clocked a 16:04, which given my fitness is very upsetting. I then did about a 20 minute cool down while watching some of the Elites race and promptly drove home feeling like shit. FTS I am going to relax next week and get back into it after that.

Summary: 53.5 miles + one crappy race = a disappointing spring break.

0 Comments: